Sunday, August 21, 2011

Let the lower lights be burning

I know school is going to start when the nightmares and dreams start up again and yesterday was quite the dream. Well, thinking about it, I'm not sure if it's a dream or a nightmare. I'll let you decide! So, I dream that it's the first day of school, and all is going quite nicely. Until the end of the day. I'm reading a book to my class and realize that the clock is broken. Look at my watch. it's 3:40 and they haven't started dismissal! We get a phone call to our classrooms telling us the buses have all broken down and there's a problem outside the school. I'm stuck at the school until everyone is home. The buses don't even come until after 7pm. Yeah, now that I think about it, I had a nightmare. Not a good way to start the day before I go back to school.

But the rest of the day was exceptional. Church truly was amazing today. And hubby and I had a nice drive around town before coming home for a snuggle. Well, for me it's a snuggle. He calls it snoogies and doesn't understand why I like it so much! One day he'll catch on. It's almost time for his soccer game to start so that's how I'll be wrapping up the day. Watching America play and hopefully win!

To all my teacher friends out there, if you've already started teaching, I hope it's going well. If you're just getting ready, good luck tomorrow! Or whenever you happen to start. Enjoy the time you have left.

Interesting hymn in church today. One of my favorites but we don't sing it very often. "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy." Hubby leaned over to me and says, what's this song called in Spanish? So I tell him the name and he wants to know why we don't sing it very often. I agree with him. The third verse really struck me today:
 "Trim your feeble lamp my brother;
 Some poor sailor, tempest-tossed,
Trying now to make the harbor,
In the darkness may be lost.
 Let the lower lights be burning; Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling sea man, you may rescue, you may save."

How true is that? Christ and Heavenly Father leave it to us to help those in need. It's through us prayers are answered many times. If we aren't prepared and listening to the promptings of the Spirit, someone may lose out. I know Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. No doubt about that. And we need to be ready at all times. We never know how He may use us any given day. We may rescue someone and not even realize it. I've experienced the joy of bringing others to Christ. But it wasn't me that did it. Christ was the one who did it all. I was the instrument in His hands. And we can all be instruments if we're willing.

Enjoy the rest of this glorious Sunday! I know I certainly will. This week I'm sure my posts will be about school. And how to balance that with being a wife! I'm supposed to make pescados dorados tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I just left a really long comment, and it deleted it :( Basically it was "Missionaries taught me, missionaries sang this, i fell in love, had @ my baptism. i make people/missionaries/etc sing it to me all the time. we sang it at church last week, but it sounded more like the nightmares you talk about in your blog. oh this is blair, kirby's friend. (aka rachael). happy back to school! here's me stalking blairstyle and filming the elders singing it in spanish at kirb's house: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDjWxbvvc4

    ReplyDelete