Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cooking

I had a wonderful plan to make tinga today for the two of us. As always, when my husband doesn't have work, my best laid plans never seem to happen. He prefers to not make plans and see what happens. I like planning out everything. You think I would learn quickly to not make plans at least when he's not working. Nope not me. I figure oh maybe once I talk him into doing something else. But usually his spur of the moment plans are always enjoyable.

I put the chicken on to cook so I could shred it, and my husband says "let's go fishing!" Now as you all know I'm not a huge huge fishing fan. But it was a beautiful day so I said yes. And we had a really good time like always. Well, we get home and my husband cleans the fish while I shred the chicken. Tinga is a fabulous dish by the way. So I'm including it here for you to enjoy. As a note, this is only one way to make tinga, go search the web. There are tons of ways!

Tinga:
1 small chicken cooked and shredded or 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can of chipotle chiles
1 onion sliced into thin rings
3 roma tomotoes sliced
corn tortillas or tostadas
queso fresco or mozzarella
sour cream or crema
lettuce thinly sliced/chopped
salsa verde or other salsa

1. Boil the chicken with a piece of onion until the chicken is cooked through.
2. Shred chicken into small pieces.
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan and add onions. Saute until soft.
4. Add the tomatoes and the chipotle chiles. DO NOT add the whole can if you don't like it really spicy. Try starting with 2 or 3. I usually add 5 or 6 but we like it spicy! Add some of the liquid from the boiled chicken or water.
5. "Mash" the chiles so the seeds begin to come out.
6. Once the tomatoes start to get soft, add the chicken and some more liquid if needed. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes until the flavors blend together.
7. Serve in tortillas or on tostadas with other toppings.


2 comments:

  1. Mmm...sounds yummy! And you are such a nice wife to go fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm learning to love it! It's my time to read and sleep :)

    ReplyDelete