Friday, September 9, 2011

The Recipe

Melinda, this blog entry is just for you! I sit here watching Chopped Champions while trying to recover from a migraine thanks to the crazy rain this week, and somehow I feel like this recipe should be so much more. But you know what? It tastes amazing so I really don't care!

My Mom's Potato Soup (with my little changes):
2 to 8 potatoes cut into chunks (no bigger than 1 inch although I like some a little bigger) It depends on how much soup you want as to how many potatoes you need. Hubby and I used 3 potatoes but they were really big potatoes from my grandparent's garden and it made enough for 2 meals.
1/2 to 1 whole onion finely chopped
Water
Milk
Instant mashed potato flakes (I like using flavors in mine. Roasted Garlic or Cheese)
Cheddar Cheese
Salt Pepper
1 Stick of butter (yep one stick)

Put your potatoes in a pot and just cover them with water. Add your stick of butter (if you're making a smaller pot like me, you can use 1/2 a stick) and salt and pepper.
Put the pot on medium-high heat and let it boil (you can make dessert at this point!).
Once the potatoes are cooked (don't let them over cook), turn the heat down to low and add milk to again just cover the potatoes (so half to the same about of water). Be sure to stir this constantly so the milk doesn't burn.
Once the mixture is pretty hot again, add the potato flakes. Add a little at a time until the soup is the consistency you like. We like ours pretty thick but go slow with those flakes. Let them mix in. If you don't have enough flakes (like me) put some of the liquid and potatoes into the blender (my mom just told me you can also use a potato masher in the pot).
Once you get it where you want, taste it for more salt/pepper and then stir in the cheese. As much as you want yum!
Top it with bacon or you can mix the bacon right in!

Enjoy!
The rain has finally stopped and my brother gets married tomorrow. Life it crazy. I also have a million papers to grade yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment