Tuesday, August 21, 2012

One day down!

Officially 38 weeks today, and I made it through the first day of school. I feel like I deserve some kind of reward. Actually, might be better to wait for that reward until I make it through the first day of school with students next week! All the teachers seem to think I'll go into labor over the weekend and won't make it to the first day of school, but my child knows me. I'm sure he'll hold off until I teach at least one day so that I can meet my class. I didn't get quite as tired as I thought but by the end of the day I was certainly hurting. All I wanted to do when I got home was put my feet up and fall asleep. I've decided to reward myself with a pedicure if I get through the week.

What a change my new school is. Montessori is different than traditional schooling but there are so many parts that are similar, they just have different names. And the atmosphere is so much more focused on student learning and helping all students succeed not just working with those few students who need to get bumped up to that next level. That's one of the things that appeals to me about this teaching and learning style. Getting a school off the ground is hard work. I basically have next to nothing in my room except for the Montessori supplies. We don't have a lot of furniture nor do we have storage in our rooms. So if anyone has a table or cabinets or anything like that they would be willing to donate, let me know! We could use it. We also don't have things like construction paper, big rolls of paper, markers, die cut machines or any of those things I took for granted at my other schools. I have to figure out how to make bulletin boards without a bulletin board. Tricky situation. However, I have an amazing IA who worked at the other Montessori school for the past few years. She is a lifesaver. I know Heavenly Father put her with me for a reason. She has been so much help the past few days with guiding me and getting things we need for the room. I am in love with this school! I know it won't be easy by any means since it's a new school and we don't have a lot of things, but it's going to be worth it. I feel like this is night and day from where I was before. I was terrified to walk in this morning but I was sad to leave this afternoon. I haven't felt like that in a long time. Everyone is so supportive and helpful.

So here's my picture from today at 38 weeks. This is after the long day of school: Excuse the mess in the background. Neither of us have gotten to the laundry this week. We went to the doctor yesterday for a growth scan because my OB felt like Monkey wasn't growing enough. He wanted to check everything out and make sure the pregnancy was going well. So we went to the high risk OB yesterday afternoon. Had the scare of our lives when he tells us that he'll be doing an ultrasound and taking measurements and then if the baby is growth restricted, he'll send us to the hospital right away for an induction. Yeah that freaked us out! All I kept thinking was "Monkey you had better be big enough because I want to at least meet the staff at my school tomorrow morning!" Luckily all is well and he's measuring about 7 pounds 2 ounces. So we have a feeling he's going to be a big baby! Unless he decides to show up this weekend. He's down very low right now so they said he's ready! We got  to watch him to practice breathing on the ultrasound which was really cool to see!

Well, I'm sitting here on the couch making my list of things I need to get accomplished at school tomorrow. I just need to figure out what I'm going to teach next week as I introduce these students to Montessori. And as I figure it out myself!

1 comment:

  1. Babies come when they're ready! Just think, soon you'll be holding him, exhausted from no sleep and totally in love beyond anything you ever thought possible.

    ReplyDelete