Monday, December 12, 2011

Peppermint Marshmallows

Well, I did it! I doubted myself a few times during the process but I made marshmallows. We'll see the final results tomorrow after I cut them but they look and taste pretty good! I was shocked at how easy they were to make and cheap for the most part. So now I have a cute Christmas gift for people and a hungry husband. Good thing he said it was ok.

I didn't mean to not make dinner but I came home from teaching Spanish class around 6 and went to work. Only halfway through did I realize that dinner might be a good idea. Oh well, that can happen another day right? Hardest part of this? Using the candy thermometer. I would suggest mixing in food coloring gel. I tried but didn't quite get the hang of it. After that I made some hot chocolate mix and put it in cute little tins. I realized I made a cute inexpensive gift for lots of people! I have to brag a little cause it's not every day I figure out how to do something this cool. Tomorrow I make the pretzels and then the gift giving begins. I'm going to have to find a way to make this up to my dear husband. He's being so patient with me while I do all of this work that he doesn't even get to enjoy. He did taste the marshmallow mix and was impressed.
Here's the marshmallows in the pan. They'll sit overnight and tomorrow I shall cut them! Pretty good for a girl who's mother was afraid her little girl would burn down the apartment in college. I have a few scares in the kitchen as a teenager and my mother thinks I'm ruined for life as a cook. I disagree. It made me work harder to see what I could do. I'll post the finished product tomorrow and then pretzels and everything all bundled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment